Monday, September 29, 2014

Did you know it? It's a Confucius Day today!

I don't know much of this guy but I have come across some of his clever thoughts here and there. One of many wise things he said in his life is the following:

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. 
I do and I understand.

Now, I am thinking of our beautiful school system in Poland but elsewhere as well... Why are these systems so fossilized? Why isn't there a person, a party, whoever... who would be brave enough to introduce some changes to this long ineffective system of teaching mostly based on lecturing, testing and leaving poor kids with loads of totally boring and uninspiring homework assignments?

As far as my observations are concerned most teachers rely on the worst possible method of teaching, i.e. lecturing while even Confucius half a thousand years before Christ knew that lecturing is the least effective method of all as we naturally can't stay focused for too long and we are less likely to remember things...

Schools should be forced not to use lectures or at least keep them to the minimum. Instead, teachers should use more visuals to present knowledge and first of all students at schools should be given more freedom on how they want to acquire this or that... Teachers give more freedom to your students! Let them get out of your steel teaching cage and give them opportunities to become creative, active, motivated and involved. Learning through doing should be made compulsory at school, this is my humble opinion...

What do you think? 

Now, I'd like you to be creative and try to make up your own sentences or your own story with these few CPE words that I'd prepared for you:
  1. to enhance - uwydatniać
  2. amino acid - aminokwas
  3. free and bound form - postać wolna i związana (np. aminokwasu)
  4. ripening - dojrzewanie (np. owoców)
  5. sugar beet - burak cukrowy 
Now... can you build your very short story with these words? 

The topic is: "What I watch..." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...