Friday, June 6, 2014

What does the future hold for our posterity?

Hello!
Today I'd like to share a few proficiency level words with you...

  • POSTERITY
  • REVERE
  • VIRTUOSI
  • SUREFIRE
Do you know any of these words? 
Let's take a look at them.

POSTERITY are the people who will live in the future; they are our off-spring, our descendants... future generations. In Polish: potomność, przyszłe pokolenia.

REVERE - this is a verb which means to really respect and admire someone or something; to honor someone or something greatly; to respect someone or something deeply. In Polish: czcić.

VIRTUOSI are the people who really skilled at something, especially at playng instruments; they have great talent and gracefulness; they are geniuses. In Polish: wirtuozi.

SUREFIRE is an adjective which describes someone or something that is very likely to succeed. In Polish: pewny, niezawodny.

My own examples:
  • To be honest, I am worried about our posterity. The world is going in a dead end direction and I am afraid the future doesn't look very bright.
  • I do revere people who live righteously.
  • It's amazing how many virtuosi there are these days. Their skills are just stunning. 
  • Which political party is a surfire one to win in the coming elections?
Can you make your own sentence about yourself with any of these words?


3 comments:

  1. ok, Rafał, is it possible to use the plural "virtuosos"? I think I saw such a form some time ago... And of course, to be exact, it is worth mentioning that the singular form is "virtuoso", right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello friend :) long time no see :) yeah... i guess u know the answer, don't u? :) the singular is virtuoso and the plural may have two forms either virtuosi or virtuosos... i believe u r a virtuoso in teaching; am i right?

      Delete
    2. I do not know. I'm experiencing a bit difficult time in my professional life nowadays. However, on Saturday I was on a training course and I'm a bit encouraged... But still, I can't wait to start holidays.

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...