...the English language has an idiom which compares an ugly person to something...
Do you know what it is?
Funny as it may seem, it's a stick (patyk)... Isn't it surprising? Since when have sticks been ugly - this I don't know... but this is what speakers of English are likely to say when they want to talk about someone who is really ugly. Weird but true...
The idiom for today is:
AS UGLY AS A STICK
A few examples from the Net:
- Some might say she was as ugly as a stick. Not me. I don't insult sticks.
- ...posting of an apparent "hot" Asian chick modeling next to a sports car, which did not go over very well considering she was as ugly as a stick.
- We've been lucky so far in that poor Theodora is as ugly as a stick.
- I'm stalking you...even if I am as ugly as mud..or is that as ugly as a stick...
- And your hair was parted down the center, so no matter how beautiful your dress or face were, you still looked as ugly as a stick in a swamp.
- An arm without bangles is as ugly as a stick of bamboo.