Friday, May 24, 2013

The other day I was asked how to say 'PRZERZUTKA'

Source: Flickr
Hello! The bike season has started and in my conversations with students they often mention their bike types, bike rides, and bike parts... Since I try to ride my bike as much as possible, I got involved in one of those conversations and was asked about the word 'przerzutka'  which is...


DERAILLEUR or
BIKE GEARS

Two beautiful words, the former of which obviously comes from French, which must be known by a professional cyclist. This is how you pronounce the word derailleur.

Source: http://www.the-bicycle.com/bike-parts/

Speaking of bikes, I would love to talk about a few expressions which you can use in the context of bike riding...

What can you do with a bike...?
  • ride a bike - jeździć rowerem
  • get on/mount a bike - wsiąść na rower
  • get off - zejść z roweru
  • come off/fall off - spaść z roweru
  • pedal a bike - pedałować
  • push a bike - pchać rower
  • get/have a puncture - złapać gumę
  •   lean/prop a bike against sth - oprzeć o coś rower

My question to you:
Do you ride a bike? How often? Do you have your favorite rides? Who do you usually ride with? Have you had any adventures while cycling?

6 comments:

  1. I do ride a bike. Everyday. This is how I commute to my work. It takes only ten minutes.
    But I prefer longer trips. The longest trip I've ever had was 90 km on one day. Maybe it's not an impressive result, but I'm an amateur and I was proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 90km is a great achievement! My daily rides end after 12km... Recently I have joined a local cyclists' forum and I see I could join them for their much longer than mine Thursday rides :)

      Delete
  2. Tomorrow at 5 a.m. I wake up and go riding. Wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was it? Did you go cycling or was it too early? :)

      Delete
  3. It was great! And I made some important decisions! Morning cycling can be so productive. Tomorrow before work I'm going to do the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you given up cycling yet?
      Coming to your reflection on the topic... Indeed, cycling is a great way of formatting your brain. I do try to cycle as often as possible although it's been a bit of a challenge recently... So you're saying morning rides are more invigorating? Do you know this site: http://rowerowaostroleka.pl/index.php ?

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...