Wednesday, April 3, 2013

similes: Is your skin as dry as a bone?

I really love winter this spring :) In fact, I don't know whether I should cry or laugh about what this weather has been up to recently... I was expecting Easter to be drier and sunnier. What we see outdoors, though, is shown in the picture...

I guess we can do anything but wait for this weather to have mercy on us. Let's hope that May will show us its May not October or November face...

Now think what will happen if all this snow were to melt down within a few days, which is very probable since, whether we like it or not, it's getting warmer and temperatures are generally higher and higher day by day... What we already see is happening in Hungary is that water levels remain high across the majority of Hungary’s rivers owing to snow and rain...

Just because of all the wetness we are experiencing these days, I want to talk about something completely opposite. Recently, I have come across a few nice idioms...


AS DRY AS A BONE
AS DRY AS A STICK
AS DRY AS DUST
AS DRY AS A BRICK

All of these refer to something that is extremely dry and containing almost no moisture. Now think about when the ground we walk on was last as dry as dust?

These idioms also make me want to ask you a rather feminine question... "How is your skin?" Have you looked after it well, especially in this weather? Or is your skin as dry as a bone?

Let's look at some examples from the Internet:
  • I don't think he's been watering these plants - the soil is as dry as a bone.
  • During, however, the dry season, when every blade is as dry as a stick, depots would...
  • My throat is as dry as dust, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth.
  • If your lawn is as dry as a bone, the soil is completely dry.
  • Though in manner he is as dry as a stick, though all his pursuits are opposite...
  • Oftentimes we come across a book of which the matter is as dry as dust.
  • When your skin is as dry as bone, getting plenty of shut-eye is crucial to healing...
  • He is as dry as a stick, and his refutation not successful even as a piece of logic. 
  • This piece of bread is as dry as a bone. I can't eat it.   
Is your skin as dry as a bone?

4 comments:

  1. Polecam takze
    Program do angielskiego - http://angielskinauka.pl/kategorie/samodzielna-nauka-angielskiego-online/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I think your post does not necessarily answer my question, does it?

      Delete
  2. So, "as dry as pepper" is correct or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Not 'as dry as pepper' but 'as dry as paper' :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...