Friday, March 1, 2013

What is the taste of a reindeer's tongue?

They say it is tasty although a bit rubbery... Today I want to write about another type of food, that is

GAME (dziczyzna)

Source: Flickr. Reindeer meat.

The word 'game' refers to wild animals and birds which people hunt and then eat. It is said that wild game is more tasty compared to farmed meat. Well, it might be true... I remember that the meat my father brought home (he was a hunter), whether it was wild duck, rabbit or wild boar... it truly tasted better when well prepared. A few years ago I spent some time in the city of Seinäjoki, located in Southern Ostrobothnia, Finland. There, I had an opportunity to taste reindeer meat... but I wasn't brave enough... In Laponia people still find reindeer meat their favorite one. Today, I wish I had tried reindeer meat... Let's hope I'll be give such an opportunity some day :)

Game falls into two categories. The first is feathered game (game birds), including grouse (głuszec), pheasant (bażant), partridge (kuropatwa), quail (przepiórka), snipe (bekas), wild duck (dzika kaczka), woodcock (słonka) and wood pigeon (dziki gołąb). The second category is furred game, including hare (zając), rabbit (królik), venison (dziczyzna) and 'wild' boar (dzik).
 


View Larger Map

What's your favorite game meat? Do you hunt yourself? Have you ever eaten reindeer meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...