Sunday, March 10, 2013

The other day I was asked how to say MIEJSCÓWKA

The other day I was asked how to say 'miejscówka'... We were talking about means of transport and traveling. In one of the dialogues, my interlocutor asked for the word...

SEAT RESERVATION 

My personal experience:
I used to commute to secondary school for four long years. The distance I covered every working day was exactly 40 kilometers... I traveled by bus all year round and it was a really fatiguing period of time for me. I had to get up at 5 a.m. every morning to catch the 5.30 bus. The journey took one hour... sometimes longer. Sometimes the bus broke in the middle of nowhere and I didn't manage to get to school at 8 a.m. It was the leas of my worries if it happened in summer... but these dilapidated buses often broke in winter, especially when it was freezing outside... Mind you, I was traveling on an old articulated Ikarus and even the so called 'ogórek' (cucumber). Anyhow, when I was commuting with a friend, and when he managed to get on the bus earlier, I often had my seat reserved for me. The route I had each morning was pretty busy and crowded with people so it wasn't easy to have a seat reservation. I often stood on the bus throughout the trip. I was often so tired that I failed to wake up before my destination. As a result, a few times I woke up in a place far away from home and... if I had cash... I could come back home on a different bus, when I was broke... I had to organize myself somehow... And mind you, there were no mobiles then, no cash cards or anything else youngsters have today. Anyway, it was always a pleasure to have a seat reservation :)

My question to you:
Have you ever commuted? How far? What are your memories?

4 comments:

  1. I used to commute to work. Now I've got a driving licence so I don;t have to travel by those extremely modern and comfortable buses anymore... That was horrible. Dirty, old and stinking buses. Waiting for a bus that will never come in the middle of winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, but you're still commuting, aren't you? The only thing that changed is the means of transport. Of course, it's much more convenient and comfortable to travel by car, but you invariably cover the same distance, which must be exhausting...

      Delete
  2. I used to commute 20km to secondary school each way - first three kilometers on my bike, the rest in a crowdy bus which I often missed (not funny)... I had to learn hitch-hiking then ;) Never ever would I wish to go back to that times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear this... but I know what you're talking about. I used to commute to secondary school too. The difference is that I commuted 40 km each way! And I know what a crowded bus is! I wouldn't like to go back to those time either!

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...