This word refers to a long-tailed black-and-white bird that has a chattering call and is known for its mischievous habits :) In Polish we call the bird sroka. This is how you pronounce the word magpie.
What is also interesting is that we can use this word to refer to a person who is talkative (gaduła).
- Magpies live between 8 and 15 years!
- They lay from 5 to 8 eggs.
- This bird can be found all across Europe, in Asia and the north-western part of Africa.
- Half of a magpie's size (i.e. 25cm) is its tail.
- It's one of very few birds which recognizes itself in a mirror!
- This is wonderful that common magpies have just one partner throughout their entire lives!
- The bird is known for collecting shiny objects, that's why we often think of magpies as 'thieves' :)
- Male magpies have longer tails :)
My question to you:
Is there anything else you can say about magpies? Are you a magpie?