Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The other day I was asked how to say POUCZENIE

The other day I was asked how to say 'pouczenie'... We were talking about offences with one of my students and I was asked this. Since this is an interesting word, I'd like to share it with you too...

The answer is:

CAUTION 

My personal experience:
Many years ago policemen were more likely to caution people (udzielić pouczenia). Today, you get a ticket and that's it. Those guys are not willing to listen to your stories any more :) I guess policemen a few years ago were more compliant and understanding... or maybe I just had bad experience a few years ago... BTW, have you had any encounters with foreign police? Any comparisons? 


My question to you:
Have you ever been cautioned by policemen or did you have to accept the ticket instantly? How was it?

8 comments:

  1. I was in Portugal last year. I started a new day after the beautiful night on the Atlantic Beach (dry wine, cod, shrimps, grilled sardines, olives...). I was the driver. I made the mistake on the first occassion in the morning. I went against the tide. Unfortunately, POLICE was there:). One young policeman asked in portuguese: ID & driving licence, please.I said something in my poor ENGLISH... Next words of my policeman were: good luck Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... Portugal, porto, prawns and pleasure :) A very interesting case. Did you mean you were driving the wrong way up a one-way street? Cool. So how did you convince the policeman of letting you get away with it? A bribe?

      Delete
  2. Yes I was driving the wrong way up a one-way street. But it was very short street, about 10 meters. A wide smile was enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could see that smile then :) Did you go to Portugal by your own car or did you rent it out there?

      Delete
  3. I always rent a car on site. I don't like to bother driving across Europe (and by some of the sea). The exception is United Kingdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you saying you traveled to the UK by car? How did you find it? Or perhaps you're saying that the UK is the only country where you wouldn't rent a car because it's hard to switch to driving on the left?

      Delete
  4. I didn't travel to or in UK by car. I think that it's to hard to switch to driving on the left...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come on... Everything needs just practice and your brain is quick to learn so it's just a matter of time.

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...