Monday, January 14, 2013

The other day I was asked how to say TATAR

The other day I was asked how to say 'tatar'... I do hope you know what I am talking about... It's a meat dish. You make it by finely chopping or mincing raw beef or (especially in Austria, Belgium, France) horse meat.

You may serve it with capers, onions and seasonings. Some people also add a raw egg yolk.


Anyhow, the word 'tatar' in English is...

STEAK TARTARE

My personal experience:
I remember I used to eat steak tartare when I was a child. My father often used to prepare it. And... to be honest I quite liked it. It's a great dish if you know how to season it well. However, I am afraid I wouldn't force myself to have 'the horse meat' based version... Anyway, I don't eat tartare these days. I guess I have turned to having other things than meat... and raw meat in particular :)

Now... what are your own experiences? Have you ever eaten raw cow or horse? :) How do you like this tartare best?  


My question to you:
Have you ever tried steak tartare? What do you think of eating raw cows and horses?

4 comments:

  1. I tried steak tartare few years ago but it wasn't a good experience...I don't like raw meat. Besides the horses are too beautiful to eating..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * a few years ago :)
      * too beautiful to be eaten

      Why wasn't it a good experience? Didn't it taste good? Where were you having the dish? Did you prepare it yourself?

      Delete
  2. It wasn't a good experience because I was feeling badly if I had eaten the steak tartare. It was at restaurant. I don't know by who it was prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see. Well, sometimes those food outlets serve really 'exotic' dishes. How we react to this food largely depends on how sensitive our stomachs are. Anyhow, it's good not to eat out too often or eat out in places you know will not turn your stomach :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...