Monday, January 28, 2013

Phobias & manias: agoraphobia

Hey! I have recently come across another phobia word... In fact I am wondering whether there could really be anybody suffering from 

AGORAPHOBIA

http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/a/agoraphobia/stats-country.htm
This word refers to an abnormal fear of open spaces; in Polish we have almost the same word and it is agorafobia. And this is how you pronounce the word agoraphobia.

Surprisingly, there are quite a few people who truly are afraid of open spaces...


What is interesting... these people, to be more specific, are afraid of finding themselves in public places, the fear is very likely to set in especially where there are large numbers of people. Thus, agoraphobia sufferers usually prefer staying inside, and feel safe in their homes.

I have read somewhere that agoraphobia is caused by a dread of being embarrassed or helpless somewhere in a public place while having one of these panic attacks...

A few examples from the Internet:
  • This program is amazing and I def recommend it to people who suffer from agoraphobia...
  • Those who suffer from agoraphobia are extremely aware of bodily sensations, such as increased heart rate...
  • I suffer from agoraphobia and I hope my video might do some good for someone!      
Here's a vid of a person talking about agoraphobia...



My question to you:
Do you know anybody who suffers from agoraphobia?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know anybody who suffers from agoraphobia but I know very well someone who suffers from claustrofobia- ME :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paulina... Has this problem been medically diagnosed or have you said this the way any other person could say this? You know, I am claustrophobic at times too...

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...