Monday, October 15, 2012

Were you a conscientious objector?

Do you remember the 90s? I was a teenager then and was about to join the army... Just the thought of it made my hair stand on end... I didn't want to be drafted. My only option was to start some studies... I can't say I was a conscientious objector back then but still I really didn't like the idea of being forced to do things I didn't want to do. Besides I had more interesting ideas for life... Anyhow, let's just focus on our word today, well... two words, in fact:



CONSCIENTIOUS OBJECTOR

The word refers to someone who refuses to serve in the armed forces or fight in a war on moral or religious grounds. There is no two word Polish alternative so in order understand who a conscientious objector is we need to describe it as człowiek uchylający się od służby wojskowej ze względu na wyznanie, poglądy czy inne powody.  (Listen to how this word is pronounced: conscientious objector.)

My question to you:
Were you a conscientious objector? Would you like compulsory military service to be reinstated? Why? Why not?

3 comments:

  1. On account of the faith I would also refuse the army. I am learning so it isn't regarding me. Personally I am in favour of the peace in the world than a war because many civilians on it are suffering

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, unfortunately but on wars children or innocent people are suffering. As for me it should be more of mediation instead of wars. I will never solve a problem with war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The religion is telling about the peace in the world but people aren't able to understand it. Hardly anyone now is keeping an eye on religion/comrades and at once are resorting to violence.

    ReplyDelete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...