AS SICK AS A DOG
It's a nice simile which means very ill, extremely sick, vomiting a lot; I can't find anything similar in Polish; I guess we simply say 'chory' or 'bardzo chory'.
Anyhow, this is a very nice simile and here I found a nice explanation of when this simile came into use and how it is understood.
A few examples from the Internet:
- Looking pretty even though she is as sick as a dog!
- Sally was as sick as a dog and couldn't go to the party
- Linda can't even get out of bed. She is as sick as a dog.
- She was as sick as a dog after that curry.
- Nellie Veitenheimer is stuck at home with the flu, she is as sick as a dog.
- I caught that new strain of flu and for three days I was as sick as a dog.
Anyhow, despite all the viruses that have become active this season, I do hope you will be able to stay healthy and will never be as sick as a dog :)
My question to you:
When were you as sick as a dog? What's your story?