Friday, September 28, 2012

words that begin with in-: incinerate

The word that I have for you today is not so nice... Well, at least for me... The images that come to mind are mostly of incinerated bodies... Sounds horrific, doesn't it?

Anyhow, let's take a look at the word...

INCINERATE

This word is a verb and it means to burn, to reduce to ashes; in Polish the word is translated as spopielić, spalić. And this is how you pronounce the word incinerate.

Here is a nice extract from The Sydney Morning Herald, dated March 28, 1900 in which incineration of dead bodies is suggested! Take a look!

I have also found a nice website offering incinerators...

A few examples from the Internet:
  • Just 12% was recycled or composted and 8% was incinerated with energy recovery.         
  • A couple from Cardiff whose stillborn daughter was incinerated seventeen years ago as clinical waste are seeking...
  • A flock of sheep burst into flames and was incinerated after a methane gas leak exploded in desert in northern Jordan...
  • In the West Midlands almost 30 per cent of total waste was incinerated with energy recovery in comparison to the England average of 11...
  • Nearly 5.2 million tonnes of waste were incinerated during 2007, an increase of six per cent...
  • The National Audit Office, in a recent report*, estimated that £120,000,000 worth of pharmaceuticals were incinerated or dumped in landfill every year in the UK.    


My question to you:
What do you think of such services as offered here?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I must say I'm in favor of cremation. Nowadays when the cost of burial is so high, cremation would be a good idea. I already told my family that when I die I want to be cremated, and one of the reason why I want this is that I'm a little bit affraid of beeing buried alive, I know it's a little bit silly but there were many cases of such situation. BTW I always have a problem with translating polish "grób, nagrobek" into english, there is grave, but isn't it rather hole where the coffin is placed but what about the tomb in polish sense- expensive, usually marbled "grób".
    Wow this is my first post and it sounds very creepy, but well I'm a creepy person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanna7. Thanks for your creepy post :) It's a pleasure to read such posts even if they are creepy :) Now... referring back to your problem, I think I would still cling to the word 'grave' to refer to a place where a person or thing is buried. If you want to define a stone placed over a grave as a marker (usually with the name and other information about the person buried there), I'd use the word 'gravestone'. Looking forward to more of your posts! :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...