Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Phobias & manias: cynophobia

If you are into phobias and mania, you will have no problem figuring out what this word means. I guess vets, biologists and those who know Latin are also able to identify the meaning of the word. Let's study the word for today which is...

CYNOPHOBIA

This word refers to a horrible fear of dogs; in Polish we have almost the same word and it is cynofobia. And this is how you pronounce the word cynophobia.


A few examples from the Internet:
  • Loud barking can seem very aggressive and threatening to people who suffer from Cynophobia...
  • If you have an extreme fear of dogs, chances are you suffer from cynophobia.
  • If you suffer from cynophobia, how would you define this term?
  • Treatment is usually necessary for those who suffer from cynophobia due to the fact that dogs are a common household pet to have.
  • You are not the only one to suffer from cynophobia. Most sufferers are surprised to learn that they are far from alone in this surprisingly common...          
Unfortunately, I think I suffer from cynophobia but it is strange because I am afraid only of those dogs which bark at me or attack me or look aggressive... However, I am not afraid of dogs in general. I am even able to approach a dog that looks nice and wags its tail. I used to have a dog myself and I really loved it. Why am I afraid of dogs? Well, it's a story that happened when I was a child. Two German shepherds bit me when I entered someone's premises being totally unaware of the fact that that house was guarded by dogs... And... they attacked me, I was bitten on my hand and pushed by them down the stairs... so I was all black and blue all over with a nasty bite wound and some piece of flesh flapping on my forearm... Yuck! Do you have similar stories to share? 


My question to you:
Do you suffer from cynophobia?

4 comments:

  1. I not, but the friend is falling into such a panic how it can see a dog.But still there's no comparison to the arachnophobia.. This's the worst mania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twoja odpowiedź powinna brzmieć:

      I do not, but my friend falls into such a panic when he/she sees a dog. But still there's no comparison to arachnophobia. This is the worst mania.

      Thank you for this comment :)

      Delete
  2. No co do pierwszego zdania rozumiem poprawkę :) ale dlaczego nie może być "the arachnophobia" i 'this is" zamiast "this's"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... nie mówimy tu o jakimś szczególnym przypadku, więc raczej bez 'the'. W końcu przedimek 'the' określa konkrety, nie? A co do 'this's' - nie sądzisz, że nie brzmi to i nie wygląda najlepiej?

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...