AS RED AS A BEETROOT
This beautiful simile simply refers to anything that is very red, deep red; and it doesn't necessarily refer only to those situations when you are ashamed; in Polish we also have exactly the same simile and it is 'czerwony jak burak'.
A few examples from the Internet:
- Liam is as red as a beetroot! How embarrassing!
- When I'm in a sauna, at the slightest bit of exercise my face is as red as a beetroot...
- My face is as red as a beetroot too. It doesn't matter what the weather is.
- I should be at the hospital as my face is as red as a beetroot.
- I'll bet your face is as red as a beetroot!
- He stifled so many yawns and he is as red as a beetroot.
My question to you:
Does your face turn red when you get embarrassed? What do you do to get rid of this discomfort? Do you know anybody whose face turns as red as a beetroot?