Thursday, September 20, 2012

Do you own a ferret?


Many people own various pets. I thought that today I want to talk about

A FERRET

A ferret is a rather small animal with a long body. It is often bred for hunting rabbits. In Polish we call these animals fretka. And this is how you pronounce the word ferret.

But the word 'ferret' is not only a noun. It is also a nice and practical verb which means "search". You may then ferret for something in your bag (szperać w poszukiwaniu czegoś). You may also catch someone ferreting about in your kitchen (myszkować). You may also ferret a nice jacket out from your wardrobe (wyszperać). If you're a hunter or a policeman, you may also have to ferret out an animal or a thief (wytropić).

A few examples from the Internet:
  • Keegan Stuart, roaring into Chicago to ferret out a thief and protect the family...
  • Amber Tamblyn is assigned to ferret out a corrupt cop in a rundown precinct...
  • Come and ferret out a bargain at the car boot sale.         
  • Lysander is asked to use his acting skills to ferret out a mole among British spies.
  • We hope you will ferret out a real treasure, but if you can't find what you are looking for, don't worry, we can order it. 


My question to you:
What do you usually ferret for most often in your bag?

6 comments:

  1. my mobile, documents, money, keys, chewing gum, sunglasses, pen... I have a mess in my bag. Even if everything is in order inside my bag, and the bag is small, I really can't find anything. My things really like playing hide-and-seek... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering why women love those big, sack-like bags which are so much in fashion these days... Such enormous bags are neither practical nor good looking, especially when a woman carrying it is petite... Can you explain it?

      Delete
    2. I don't know. Maybe because"those big sack-like bag" are just cute :) I really like them although now I use only small ones. Anyway, it's still difficult to find there anything :)

      Delete
    3. I see. So it means I will never be able to understand women...

      Delete
    4. But at the other side it is great that we are so different, isn't it? ;)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...