Thursday, August 2, 2012

How to cope with those guys who are always as stiff as a poker?

Well, your answer should be 'Yes, I do!' as we should love everybody... Now, who is a stiff? This is an overly formal person (formalista), or a person who is priggish (pedantyczny). There are many people like this around us and it's difficult sometimes to 'normally' talk to them as they are so focused on their duties that they don't see other people... 

So, I hope you are not

AS STIFF AS A POKER

The word 'stiff' also means 'sztywny' and may be used to describe things than don't bend (zginać się). So in our gorgeous simile today I'm talking about people who, in their behavior, are as stiff as a poker. 'A poker', by the way, is not only the popular card game but also a tool for arranging hot coals, see the picture :) And you can't deny it isn't stiff...

In Polish we have a similar phrase and it goes "sztywny jakby kij połknął", which focuses on one's physical stiffness, but when you think of when people behave as stiff, you will immediately notice that those who are stiff in their manner of behavior, are also stiff physically, and usually as stiff as a poker... Am I not right?
http://tinyurl.com/ctwu9r6


A few examples from the Internet:
  • My neck is as stiff as a poker.
  • Don't even try to convince this teacher, he is as stiff as a poker, he will never bent his rules.
  • We are as stiff as a poker. We are pretty clever.
  • Or maybe it's because Germans are as stiff as a poker...
  • Come here, Amy, and do the fainting scene, for you are as stiff as a poker in that...
My question to you: 
How to cope with those guys who are always as stiff as a poker?

2 comments:

  1. I cope with those guys who are always as stiff as a poker that I try to laugh and joke with them although it is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I agree with you 100%. In fact, I never know how to cope with such guys myself. On the one hand you feel like teasing them a bit, on the other you want to just leave them alone and go on with your stuff. I guess, the best way to approach them is to show understanding and just be nice to them. What do you think?

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...