So, I hope you are not
AS STIFF AS A POKER
The word 'stiff' also means 'sztywny' and may be used to describe things than don't bend (zginać się). So in our gorgeous simile today I'm talking about people who, in their behavior, are as stiff as a poker. 'A poker', by the way, is not only the popular card game but also a tool for arranging hot coals, see the picture :) And you can't deny it isn't stiff...
In Polish we have a similar phrase and it goes "sztywny jakby kij połknął", which focuses on one's physical stiffness, but when you think of when people behave as stiff, you will immediately notice that those who are stiff in their manner of behavior, are also stiff physically, and usually as stiff as a poker... Am I not right?
A few examples from the Internet:
- My neck is as stiff as a poker.
- Don't even try to convince this teacher, he is as stiff as a poker, he will never bent his rules.
- We are as stiff as a poker. We are pretty clever.
- Or maybe it's because Germans are as stiff as a poker...
- Come here, Amy, and do the fainting scene, for you are as stiff as a poker in that...
How to cope with those guys who are always as stiff as a poker?