Wednesday, July 4, 2012

words that begin with ex- exploit

Another EX- word today! Let's take a look at this amazing word:

EXPLOIT

Are you a worker or a student? Good! I have a great word for you today... The word functions both as a noun and as a verb and is very interesting because it is a bit contradictory (sprzeczny). On the one hand it is very positive and refers to a heroic act, a great fit, an adventure, a deed, while on the other hand, it has negative connotations as it means to take advantage of sth/sb, to selfishly make us of sth/sb, to manipulate sb. However, when using this word as a verb, we may also use it in positive contexts to talk about exploiting, say, your talents. The Polish language translates our today's word as wyczyn, wykorzystywać, eksploatować, użytkować, wyzyskiwać. 


What do I say in this context?
Since the word 'exploit' can be exploited :) in many ways, let's just talk about this multi-purpose lexical item... Just think of how many great exploits you have had in your life... I have been to a few countries and had various exploits (przygody) there :) I am looking forward to new exploits in Berlin soon :) Now... to change the topic a bit... Don't you feel exploited after a whole year working hard at school or at university? I do... Why is this world so harsh and why are employees viciously exploited by their bosses? 

Let's take a look at a few examples from the Net:
  • Ella is constantly looking at new ways to exploit her talents...
  • The contractors in turn exploit their workers to keep their profit...
  • Our carefully designed development processes are effective in providing high potentials with an understanding of how to exploit their talents to the benefit of...
  • The major problem was however discovered to be that there was no avenue for Christian thespians to exploit their talents for the glory of God.
  • Provinces that have experienced economic growth and booms above their counterparts have been able to exploit their energy and natural...
  • Some foreign companies in China exploit their workers by forcing them to do overtime or underpaying them...
  • There are many others who arguably have done many great exploits in the name of the Lord, only to go off in their doctrines before their death.
  • After having experienced many great exploits in his life of faith, he looked back over his journey and...                    
My question to you:
What exploits have you had recently? Do you feel exploited at home, school or at work?

Looking forward to your valuable posts impatiently!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Rafał!

    When I read your post, I immediately thought of the phrase ”feel overworked and underpaid”, so yes - there is a global tendency to feel exploited in one way or another. I do hope, though, that most of it is just complaining and we all have our basic rights intact ;)

    Karola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karola for this utterly reassuring post :) In fact I do feel overworked and underpaid and I don't feel there's something wrong with me, especially when I come to think of how much our dear friends from West Europe earn :) Anyhow, I am trying to console myself that we could have much worse lives than we do... Do you work or study Karola?

      Delete
    2. thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a very nice comment, Rafał :)


      I work, but I'm a freelancer, so I shouldn't really complain because the hours and pay are theoretically up to me ;)but we all know how it works, don't we?

      Delete
    3. Sweet. I am also a teacher and a freelancer, so welcome to the club :) Probably I shouldn't complain either, however, it would be lovely to work less and earn more, wouldn't it? ;0

      Delete
  2. I don't feel exploited......... I'm a happy person :) I do what I like- I mean my work. Maybe I don't earn much money but it's enough for this moment of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a comforting attitude! Only to be envied!

      Delete
  3. Me too I feel cherished an I don't feel exploited! And every single day for me is a new chanllenge, a new exploit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well written Crown! Where do you take all this vigor from?

      Delete
  4. Well... I think from two sources:
    Positive thinking and motivation from my parents' side :)

    ReplyDelete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...