Sunday, July 8, 2012

Are you a punter? Be careful with the answer!

It's a holiday season, right? I've just come to think of a nice profession you may encounter a representative of when on holidays... It's a little known job of a

PUNTER

Who's the heck is this? Well, it's a person who may quite a few things on holidays... Let's start from the profession I actually had in mind when I thought of this word... It's a a person who propels a boat (a punt, to be more specific...) by poling. A punt is a type of a small boat with a flat bottom. Poling is just moving a punt by pushing a long pole against the river bottom. In Polish we call such a guy 'flisak'.



Another meaning of 'punter' refers to a person who bets on horse races. Generally speaking, it's a person who is otherwise known as a gambler. In other words, it's a person who risks money guessing the result of something. In Polish we call such a guy 'gracz'.

The third meaning of the word 'punter' that is disgraceful in the holiday context... is the one that refers to a person who uses the services of a prostitute...


Just to sum up... Enjoy your encounters with punters in the first meaning :) Don't lose your head being a punter in the second meaning. And don't be a punter in the third one.

My question to you:
Have you ever been or met a punter? Which type of punter was it?

5 comments:

  1. I met a punter in last summer. It was on the Dunajec. He was very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I.! Thank you for your comment! In fact you should have written "I met a punter last summer" :) Anyhow, it must have been a great thing to have met a real punter on the Dunajec. I have never been on that river. I was in Spisska Stara Ves only :) Where exactly did you travel from and to? How much did it cost?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the correct a mistake. I haven't flawed on the Dunajec but I was in villageSromowce Niżne at the foot of the Three Crowns in Pieniny. There was a beautiful. People were very nice, especially the punter.
    When I good remember the rafting about 20 km cost 40 PLN for person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I.! Thank you for this information. I have never been in Sromowce Niżne. I guess the place must be just wonderful! The price doesn't seem to be very high for a 20 km distance... and the pleasures are unforgettable, aren't they?

      Your text after a few corrections:
      Thank you for ***correcting my mistakes***. I haven't ***swum*** on the Dunajec but I was in ***the*** village ***called*** Sromowce Niżne at the foot of Three Crowns in ***the*** Pieniny. ***It*** was beautiful. People were very nice, especially the punter.
      ***If I remember correctly*** the rafting ***for*** about 20 km cost ***PLN40 per*** person.

      Don't worry about your mistakes. This is one of the ways you can really learn some English. Keep writing!

      Delete
    2. OK, I will write next. Thank you for the tips.

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...