Monday, June 11, 2012

words that begin with ex- extol

Another EX- word today! Let's look at the amazing word

EXTOL

What is it? Well, in Polish we translate it as wychwalać. In English we could define this word as to exalt, glorify, praise, laud...


Let's take a look at a few examples from the Net:
  • The Song of Solomon is a lyric poem written to extol the virtues of love between a husband and his wife.
  • She extolled members to rally together in the face of such attacks - the strongest means of fighting back.
  • The British columnist recently wrote a piece for The Daily Mail in which she extolled the difficulties of going through life as a “tall, slim blonde.”
  • And he extolled the British accomplishment in a biblical witticism that afforded his readers the pleasures both of self- righteousness and a wink at that sort of...
  • And I was utterly enthused and besotted by the range available to me, and at the time we extolled the virtues of this wonderful breakfast spread, but it wasn't...   
My question to you:
What virtues would you extol nowadays! Why?

Looking forward to your posts impatiently!    

4 comments:

  1. With you I'll become a straight A student. That's a nice word!

    To me, a virtue worth extolling is nonconformism, a sensible version of it, that is. Being able to abide by your beliefs despite being "different" and also being brave enough to break thinking patterns. On the other hand bearing in mind that we still are members of a society would be expedient ;)

    Being sympathetic towards the vulnerable is also an advantage. These include for e.g. children or animals. They are innocent and can't complain therefore you can often see a person's true character when you see the way he/she treats the defenceless.

    Last but not least, being educated makes you less susceptible to manipulation and helps you become an open-minded person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cardamom Tea! I really like the way you write in English, although I don't particularly agree with you as regards the fact that non-conformism is worth extolling. Not always is it a good thing to stay different, especially when it comes to serious issues in one's life... On the other hand, I do agree with you that studying may really help you understand things better. I wouldn't like to develop this thread too much here... Anyhow, I do thank you for your post again and am looking forward to more posts on your blog so that I could voice my opinions there :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm it may sound a little banally but the most important virtue for me is Love... But not love which we can see in any park, you know, teenagers kissing each other etc. When I say "Love" I mean this eternal, unselfinh, huge Love. I believe everyone wants to experience It... And this kind of Love includes everything and makes our lives better :)

    And when I hear the translation of "extol", I mean "wychwalać", I can hear a song in my head: http://phixd.wrzuta.pl/audio/6N3G6J6vdPP/tgd_-_jak_przedziwne_twe_imie

    innocent connotation... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks justadreamer for another nurturing post of yours :) I agree 100 percent that LOVE is for sure the number one virtue worth extolling! The problem with love, however, is that many people do lots of bad things under the cover of love... What we should really bear in mind is what Matthew once said...

      15 ‘Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn-bushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.

      Only this approach guarantees to find true love. And I've just thought of CardamomTea said about non-conformism. If non-conformism in certain areas of life gives pure love, it's fine, but when the fruit of it results in one's enslaving and consequently leads to a sad aftermath, then you should be careful...

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...