Sunday, June 10, 2012

PARTS OF THE BODY IDIOMS: BLOOD

Hello! What about another idiom on a Sunday? I am impatiently awaiting the Poland - Russia match on Tuesday and just the thought of it makes my blood run cold...

And this is in fact our today's idiom:

TO MAKE ONE'S BLOOD RUN COLD

Yeah... Let's talk about blood. The word 'blood' is quite popular and many people know it... It is also used in a couple of nice idioms like the one above...



The idiom refers to a situation when a sound, sight or, just like in my opening sentence..., a thought frightens you very much... In Polish we have a similar idiom: mrozić krew w żyłach...

A few words about myself in this context :)
There have been quite a few situations which made my blood run cold... Let me tell you about one of these... It was a few years ago when I was coming back from Olsztyn in my small blue car... At some point on the way I was about to pass a lorry coming from the opposite direction. Suddenly, the back door of the truck opened and dozens of steel sheets were flung out of the truck. They covered the road in front of my car fracturing the tires, some fell onto my car and damaged the varnish, some just flew close the windshield... Consequently, my blood run cold, I lost control of the car and was able to halt the car to a stop just on the edge of the road... Had I skidded a few centimeters farther, I would have found myself in a ditch... So, I guess it is one of my true life stories, which really made my blood run cold...  


Let's take a look at a bunch of examples from the Net:
  • The terrible story in the newspaper made my blood run cold.
  • What she saw in the middle of the room made her blood run cold.
  • Terrorist attacks made my blood run cold, admits Pietersen but he may return...
  • The very word made my blood run cold and suddenly our lives were...
  • I have to admit that when I moved to the UK from the USA, the idea of seeing a dentist here made my blood run cold...
  • "Mrs. Lynde says it made her blood run cold to see the boys climbing to the very tops of those big trees on Bell's hill after crow's nests last Friday," said Marilla.   

My question to you:
Talk about your last experience which made your blood run cold.  


Looking forward to you posts! :)

2 comments:

  1. It was winter. I was going back from work (from Kadzidło). While I was working the snow started falling. My car had neither winter tyres nor ABS. The road was totally white and there were plenty of cars around. Suddenly my car skidded and turned back. Fortunately, the rest of the drivers there were well aware of the danger and reacted just in time. I was so lucky but on the way to my home I was praying without a break and left my car on a parking lot in Ostrołęka. Than I got home on foot. Now I'm really afraid of winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, such an experience could have made your blood run cold... I lived through a similar thing in Krasnosielc :) There is a 90 degree turn and when we were coming back from Przasnysz in a Fiat 126p :), which as most people know is a well-equipped car, and I was going at 20 kph and still wasn't able to control the car and hit the opposite kerb :) Luckily, no car was heading from the opposite direction so nothing happened... but it was also one of those moments that make your blood run cold :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...