Friday, June 8, 2012

BODY PARTS IDIOMS: MOUTH

Hi! Today we'll look into a mouth :) I guess most people know the word 'mouth'... We may describe it as a facial feature above the chin and below the nose or as a part of the body used for eating and communicating... In Polish it is just BUZIA, dzióbek, gęba...

The idiom I want to present today is:

TO BE DOWN IN THE MOUTH

The idiom means to be discouraged, depressed, gloomy or just sad..., in Polish być przygnębionym, mieć depresję, być w złym nastroju, z nosem na kwintę... 

A few words about myself in this context :)
To be honest I do my best to avoid being down in the mouth, but as you may guess life is brutal sometimes and each of us feels down in the mouth at times. This is pretty normal. What takes some skill and knowledge is not to surrender to the feeling. I have learnt what to do when I feel that a bad spirit of depression is trying to overwhelm me... And believe me it works! What is it? Well... let it be my secret...  :)  


Let's take a look at a bunch of examples from the Net:
  • Everyone was down in the mouth before the game.
  • After working hard on a project for four years, Charles was down in the mouth when the project was canceled and he was laid-off.
  • The Roman Orator was down in the mouth; finding himself thus cheated by the money-changer.
  • Later on I learned that Steiger almost always was down in the mouth and, if he was in a good mood, had a wistful look about him.
  • Little Becky was down in the mouth after her cat, Ebony, ran away, but smiled again when the new little kitten walked in.  

My question to you:
If you give me your ways of coping with being down in the mouth, then I'll share my secret way of successfully dealing with this awful condition.  


Looking forward to you posts! :)

6 comments:

  1. I would refrain from using this particular idiom, though ;) Nowadays it may be understood in a totally different way ;).

    Anyways, I usually either run away from the problem hell for leather (which is a bad idea) and read a lot to forget the world. At times, when I finally decide to grasp the nettle, succesful people's example is my drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CardamomTea for another contribution of yours. Yes, you are indeed right to say that this particular idiom may provoke images other than intended and it has usually been so as far as I recollect my teaching experience...

      Anyhow, my way of dealing with the problem is very simple and to many... probably even controversial... I just pray :)

      Delete
    2. I pray a lot, too. Except that I'm not a christian. But prayers help whatever one's religion is.

      Delete
    3. Cool! James 4:8 tells us to “draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.” God wants us to be close to Him at all times.

      Delete
  2. It's my favourite too, Rafal :) When I feel very depressed I also call my friends and we worship together. You know, with singing, jumping, spontaneous prayer... It's amazing that we, people, are able to experience so much love, so much happiness... And this state when you even don't say anything. You are just sitting somewhere and you don't care about all those problems that every day bother you. Check Rz 8, 26- I've just thought about this...

    Anyway, sometimes chocolate or bike also helps not to be down in the mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.

      Yes... beautiful :) Yeah... in my case chocolate is no good, but bike helps a lot indeed :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...