HEART and SLEEVE:
It's a nice idiom, isn't it? Your heart is the hub of all feelings. Therefore if you wear it on your sleeve, all your feelings are revealed. In other words you make your feelings and emotions obvious!
And this is what this idiom means. It refers to a situation when you expose your feelings, when you express your feelings. In Polish we have a similar idiom: mieć serce na dłoni...
A few words from myself in this context :)
Why is it so hard for many people to wear their hearts on their sleeves? I guess the answer is rather simple. The world today is so morally decayed and people don't trust one another. The consequence being they are reluctant to openly, honestly talk about their feelings. Being honest means being truthful. The fact that people are not honest is a mark of unhealthy human interaction and people lie and hide their true feelings because they want to gain in finance, power or have other temporary satisfaction. Would you agree?
Let's take a look at a bunch of examples from the Net:
- But her power will defy you when she wears her heart on her sleeve.
- She makes me laugh. I think she is true to her self and wears her heart on her sleeve and I like that.
- Ten-year-old Sprig wears her heart on her sleeve, so when her father,...
- Lauren if anything wears her heart on her sleeve which showed when she went to confront the girls that have continually bitched about her...
- "When it comes to singing, Sheena wears her heart on her sleeve - at times tender, hilarious, feisty or bitter - and the audience respond."
What's your say?
Do you wear your heart on your sleeve? When do you know you can wear your heart on your sleeve?
Looking forward to you posts! :)