Friday, June 22, 2012

BODY PARTS IDIOMS: EYE

It is still rainy... but nevertheless I am glad it's Friday and the weekend is ahead... In fact rain doesn't matter so much as this weekend offers a few great quarterfinals matches! Germany are playing Greece today, Spain are playing France tomorrow, and England are playing Italy on Sunday! Who do you keep your fingers crossed for? BTW, I've just used another body parts idiom... :) Anyhow, the proper idiom for today is   


TO BE ONE IN THE EYE FOR SB

Oh, another beautiful English idiom! Why do I love them so much? The key word in this idiom is EYE! Let's look at what this beauty means now... It refers to a situation when something is a disappointment, a setback or a defeat for someone...  



The Polish language also has an idiom for such a situation: (coś) jest nauczką dla kogoś... So, for instance, if one of your colleagues whom you didn't like for some reason was promoted, then it is one in the eye for you :)

A few words from myself in this context :)
I remember that over ten years ago I was driving a Polonez Atu from Olsztyn... (Yeah, Olsztyn again...) and it was my second car after a red Fiat 126p so I was happy to have been driving almost a limo :) The weather was good, the conditions on the road were perfect so I decided to speed up a bit... I overtook one car, then another, and then... I wanted to overtake another car when I noticed a fast approaching car from the opposite direction... I panicked as my engine turned out to be too sluggish to overtake that car and since there were cars behind me... I didn't want to slam on the brakes... Luckily, the left shoulder was wide enough so in order to avoid a head-on collision I decided to use it...  Yeah, I know, I know... I was a disaster, but I was young and stupid... Anyhow that situation was definitely one in the eye for me... :)

Let's take a look at a bunch of examples from the Net:
  • Was it one in the eye for Google when Nokia struck a global deal with Yahoo?
  • One thing is for sure though - a great performance by the three of them on Sunday against Stoke would be one in the eye for Rooney...
  • The prize has long eluded Mart so it would be one in the eye for him if...
  • That'll be one in the eye for her ex-husband, Guy Ritchie...
  • Her award will be one in the eye for her detractors...
  • One in the eye for her vile captors.
  • ...so this re-release is one in the eye for them...            

What's your say? 
Talk about a situation when something didn't go according to your plan and it was one in the eye for you...
Looking forward to you posts! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...