Sunday, June 17, 2012

BODY PARTS IDIOMS: BACK

It is with great sadness that I am writing today's post... Poland lost their life or death match with the Czech Republic yesterday in Wrocław :( This is the reason why I wanted to talk about another body part idiom today with the word BACK (plecy).

Let's take a look at the idiom I have for today:


TO TURN ONE'S BACK ON ONE'S SOMEONE

Well, well, well... The question is: How many Polish football fans will turn their backs on our national football team after such a shattering loss? Today Poland has woken up with a terrible moral hangover and most people keep asking themselves the question: Why did we lose? Why?! 

The idiom refers to a situation when someone ignores or forgets someone, especially a friend who needs your help or support. You also turn your back on someone when you want to show that you are not interested in them any longer and that you are reluctant to be with them, to talk to them, etc... In Polish we have a similar idiom: odwrócić się do kogoś plecami, tzn. przestać okazywać komuś zainteresowanie, zacząć kogoś lekceważyć, odnosić się do kogoś obojętnie...

A few words from myself in this context :)
Obviously when someone turns his/her back on you, it doesn't feel good. It usually happens when either you hurt someone or that person proves not to be a genuine friend of yours (especially when you are in trouble and you counted on that person). What is even more surprising, when you turn your back on someone the feeling is also terrible or even worse.Ephesians 4:32 declares, “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Similarly, Colossians 3:13 proclaims, “Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.” These are the truths we should follow regardless of whether we are Christians or not. :)

Let's take a look at a bunch of examples from the Net:

  • He said: “My wife turned her back on me. “I was left on my own so my...
  • While I completely turned my back on God he never turned his back on me and he intervened and brought his life back to me and turned my life around.
  • Even after she had turned her back on Me, I still tried to draw her by My spirit, but she would not listen.
  • Steve answered curtly and turned his back on me.
  • Kimberley was unhappy with what was shown on the programme and thought I'd gone against her and she turned her back on me.
  • He turned his back on me as if I had mortally offended him...
  • My God never turned his back on me and I knew he was watching over me.    
What's your say? 
Has anybody turned their back on you recently? Why? Have you ever turned your back on anyone? Why?  


Looking forward to you posts! :)

4 comments:

  1. I can't answer your question since I can't really recall any situation of this kind. But turning our backs on sportsmen proves we want glory but lack patience to achieve it. Our sportsmen are like neglected children who are loved only in case they meet our expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is true. On the one hand fans can be disappointed and even furious since the team had been getting ready for the tournament for quite a long time and now we have lost due to lack of training??? On the other hand, we shouldn't forget that they really tried their best and the will of winning the last match was high. I guess, we just need to thank them for their performance and hope that one day we will have a team who will show other countries they know what to do with a ball...

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, there was a time I turned my back on some people. Sometimes because of a jealousy, sometimes because of some kind of dislike to people. It's hard to say why. I think there were many factors. Maybe also my low self-esteem and the fact that I didn't experience real Love- so I had no idea how to share it...

    Now I try to treat all the people equally, with respect that everyone deserves for, to care of what they say or who they are... It's easier now because there is Somebody in my life who treats me with respect and gives so much... So I'm trying to pass it on. But at first it was difficult.

    When I converted, I lost some of my friends. My best friend told me some unpleasant words about me, "my" God and I think, he couldn't stand that there are more important things for me than partying and drinking... But I don't regret losing my friends. Now I've got the best friends in the world. I can really rely on them. I've checked it already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice testimony! I guess you lost only your pseudo-firends :) This is the trap many people fall into thinking that when they are surrounded by many, they are happy as they have real friends. More often than not it turns out these are only shallow pseudo-friends because those relationships were built on shallow things, such as drinking, partying and doing lots of other superficial things. true friendship is built only on concrete foundations if you know what I am talking about... :)

      Delete

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...