What does it mean? It means an extract, a passage selected from a book or text, a quotation... In Polish we have a similar word which is wyjątek, odbitka, wyciąg, wypis...
Let's look at a few examples from the Internet:
- This is an excerpt from Zero History, William Gibson's latest novel, which was released Tuesday.
- An excerpt from Colson Whitehead's novel Zone One, to be published in October by Doubleday.
- An excerpt from Battleground Chicago: The Police and the 1968 Democratic National Convention by Frank Kusch.
- The following is an excerpt from the Bruce Springsteen cover story in the March 29th, 2012 issue of Rolling Stone, on stands March 16th.
- Listen to an excerpt from the audiobook.
- Do you collect interesting excerpts from newspapers?
- What kind of excerpts do you collect?
- Why do you collect them?