Saturday, March 17, 2012
St Patrick's Day!
Yeah! It is March 17 and another St Patrick's Day! Who is St Patrick? He is the patron saint of Ireland although Britain was his homeland. Why is he so Irish? Well, as a 14 year old boy he was captured and taken to Ireland, where he was kept as a slave and had to herd sheep. Then, when he was in his 30s, he returned to Ireland but as a missionary to convert the Celts. And why is the shamrock a symbol of Ireland? Well, the legend has it that Patrick used the plant to explain what the Holy Trinity was :)
I have some other questions for you to test your knowledge about this day. I challenge you to these questions! Leave your answers in your posts!
2. Which is the day St Patrick died?
3. Where was St Patrick born?
4. Which color is associated with St Patrick’s Day?
5. What does the shamrock signify on the Day?
6. What does leprechaun mean?
7. What is the language of Ireland?
8. Which church is regarded as the most famous one dedicated to St Patrick?
9. In Ireland, what does the color green stand for?
10. What colors are there on the Irish flag?
11. What was St Patrick’s name at birth?
12. How long did St Patrick’s mission in Ireland last?
13. What happens if you don’t wear green on St Patrick’s Day?
14. What does ‘Erin Go Braugh’ mean?
15. What profession does the leprechaun supposedly practice?
16. According to legend, what should you never do if you catch a leprechaun?
17. If you catch a leprechaun and take your eyes off him, what happens?
18. Who was St Patrick?
May the roof above us never fall in, and may we friends beneath it never fall out!