Who's this? The basic definition is that it is a person who is spending time getting well after an illness, a person who is recovering from an illness or who is recuperating.
A few examples from the Internet:
- He was a convalescent soldier, going from the hospital to his regiment, and altogether too much of an invalid for the exchange.
- From the time they are convalescents, the men are encouraged to make body movements which become progressively more active.
- While in England he was a convalescent at 3rd Northern Hospital at Sheffield.
- Jenny's motivation is the deep, passionate love she has felt for Adam ever since he was a convalescent officer.
- Bertha ought to be able to write me every once in a while, while she is a convalescent.