Sunday, February 5, 2012

Have you ever been thrown in at the deep end?

The other day I was talking with one of my students about a nice situation when my interlocutor said he had been given a difficult job to do and it had happened before he had the knowledge and any experience for it. He didn't feel comfortable then because he simply didn't know how to work it out (nie wiedział jak to ugryźć). Then he said 'byłem rzucony na głęboką wodę', and then he asked how to express it in English... The English language has a nice idiom for this - to be thrown in at the deep end. Therefore, I am asking you the question: "Have you ever been thrown in at the deep end?" Tell us all about it :)

In my first teaching job, I was thrown in at the deep end with a class of about 20 people who were only a few years older than myself then :) However, I managed. Managers often think the best way to introduce new workers to the job is to throw them in at the deep end. Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...