Friday, February 24, 2012

Do you admire the beauty of English idioms?

Idioms in English are just lovely! English is such a rich language that I am always impressed by the flowery idioms it offers us... Let's take a look at a few of them today! I will also give you a few examples to illustrate how these idioms work. I would also like you to answer my question(s) that I'm going to think up with each idiom :)

THE APPLE OF SB's EYE - oczko w czyjejś głowie
From the time my parents adopted me until my father's death, I was the apple of my dad's eye.
The youngest was the apple of his father's eye. 

TO BE BLACK AND BLUE ALL OVER - być posiniaczonym
He was black and blue all over and had blood in his ear.
She was black and blue all over after falling downstairs.

TO BREAK ONE's HEART - złamać komuś serce
I know a man who has broken a lot of girls' hearts.
He was like an angel to her and she still broke up with him and broke his heart. :(

TO GIVE SB THE COLD SHOULDER - traktować kogoś bardzo chłodno
I really tried to be pleasant to Tereska but she gave me the cold shoulder.
Whenever I meet her, she gives me the cold shoulder.

TO GET STH OFF ONE's CHEST - wyrzucić coś z siebie
We hadn't talked for two days and when I asked what the problem was, he got it off his chest.
He had spent two months worrying about it and he was glad to get it off his chest. 

TO HAVE A LUMP IN ONE's THROAT - mieć ściśnięte gardło
My sister got a lump in her throat when she started talking about the accident. 

My questions to you:
1) How do you cope with a situation when you have a lump in your throat?
2) What was the thing you got off your chest last time?
3) How do you feel when somebody gives you a cold shoulder?
4) How did you/would you help yourself if someone broke your heart?
5) Who is the apple of your eye? Why?
6) Have you ever been black and blue all over? When?

Talk soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...